Meet Amy Galey
Amy grew up in Union Ridge, here in Alamance County. Her parents are Dr. Sam and Connie Scott. She graduated from Western Alamance High School in 1985 and left for Chapel Hill. She graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill in 1989 with a B.A. in History, and then she worked for two years in the medical school as an office assistant. In `1994 she graduated from the University of North Carolina School of Law, and she passed both the North Carolina and South Carolina bar exams.
In July 1992, she went with a friend from school to Charleston, S.C., where she met and was swept off her feet by First Lieutenant Fred D. Galey, Jr., USAF, who was a pilot on the C-141. They were married in Union Ridge Church in Alamance County on November 19, 1994, and they moved into base housing at Charleston AFB. She worked as a staff attorney for the Defender Corporation of Charleston County.
In 1996, Amy and Fred moved to Andrews AFB in Maryland, where their daughter, Mary, was born. Early in their marriage, Amy and Fred decided that, because a military pilot has as erratic hours as one can imagine, his work would take priority over hers. Although she became a member of the D.C. Bar, Amy accepted that her career goals would be sacrificed for a season so that their children would have the stability of a parent in the home at all times. This is an issue with which many, many parents struggle, especially military families, and everyone has to find the path that suits them best. With Fred’s schedule and being away from Amy’s family in Alamance County this seemed to be the best decision for them.
- Member Alamance County Board of Commissions- Chair 2017- Present
- Member of Social Services Board
- Piedmont Triad Regional Development Corporation
- Jordan Lake One Water Association
- Justice Advisory Committee
- Volunteer Agriculture District Board
- Commissioner Liaison to the ABSS Board of Education
- Fellow, Duke University North Carolina Leadership Forum
- Healthy Alamance
- Alamance Achieves
- Complete Count Census Committee
- Member VFW Post 10607 Auxiliary
- Member Altamahaw-Ossipee Civitans
- Member Union Ridge Church
- Member North Carolina Bar
- Member South Carolina Bar
- Member District of Columbia Bar
- Member North Carolina Bar Association